Make It Real Learning
Make It Real Learning Curriculum Review
Who hasn’t had a kid ask: When am I ever going to need to know this? Well, the Make It Real Learning math workbooks have got your back, mom.
While Make it Real Learning is not a complete math curriculum, it is an excellent resource for supplementing your current math program. Alternatively, I highly recommend using this material as a break from traditional math instruction – especially if you have a math resistant kid. It can be a great transition to use if you’ve recently begun homeschooling after a less than stellar brick and mortar school experience and your child is just burnt out on drill and kill mathematics.
Since the books do not include instructions for how to solve the real-world problems, you will probably find yourself acting as a problem solving guide. Rather than just giving up quickly because the problems are challenging, you can ignite excitement (and model humility) with brainstorming solutions that may (or may not) initially work. Don’t worry, though, solutions are included in the book, in case you get stuck.
Each Make it Real Learning workbook offers 10 real-life problem solving activities, using real data. Third graders may work on using fractions to learn how to multiple cooking recipes, whereas high schoolers may use fractions and ratios to work on real estate investing problems. You can download sample problems from a variety of the books on the Math Mammoth website.
Make it Real Learning does not teach math skills, so fundamental math knowledge is required – unless you are prepared to teach math concepts as you work through the problem solving process. Depending on your child’s math strengths and weaknesses, it may be worth using a book that is a grade level below from their most recently completed math course.
- Arithmethic I: Gr 3-6
- Arithmetic II: Gr 4-7
- Fractions, Percents, and Decimals I: Gr 4-8
- Fractions, Percents, and Decimals II: Gr 6-11
- Fractions, Percents, and Decimals III: Gr 4-7
- Fractions, Percents, and Decimals IV: Gr 4-7
- Geometry I: Gr 6-7
- Geometry II: Gr 4, 7, and HS
- Sets, Probabiliy, and Statistics I: Gr 6-10
- Sets, Probabiliy, and Statistics II: Gr 6-12
- Linear Functions I: Algebra 1 & 2
- Linear Functions II: Algebra 1 & 2
- Linear Functions III: Algebra 1 & 2
- Graphing and Other Algebra Skills I: Gr 7-8
- Graphing and Other Algebra Skills II: Gr 7-8
- Quadratic Functions I: Algebra 1 & 2
- Quadratic Functions II: Algebra 1 & 2
- Exponential and Logarithmic Functions I: Algebra 2 & Precalculus
- Periodic and Piecewise Functions I: Algebra 2 & Precalculus
- Periodic and Piecewise Functions II: Algebra 2 & Precalculus
- Polynomial, Power, Logistic, and Rational Functions 1: Algebra 2 & Precalculus
- Calculus 1: Gr 12
About the Author of Make It Real Learning: Frank Wilson has taught community college for 15+ years and written 7 college-level textbooks. Scott Adamson has taught high school and community college math since 1988. Together, their passion is to make math real for students.
Get more information from the publisher’s website: www.mathmammoth.com/mirl
Last Updated: November 2023