Red Hot Root Words
From Prufrock’s website:
Book 1 – Grades 3-5
A knowledge of word parts gives students a head start on decoding words in reading and testing situations. Each of the well-developed lessons in this text includes:
* one to three word parts along with meanings and sample words,
* five vocabulary words that use the prefixes or root words,
* definitions and sample sentences for each of the five words,
* a practice exercise that lets students apply knowledge of the words and their meanings, and
* a one-page review worksheet for one or two lessons that presents more unique opportunities to work with the prefixes and root words and to see how they are combined with suffixes.
Book 2 – Grades 6-8
This book, the second in a two-book series, contains three sections (prefixes, root words, and suffixes), but each section has the same format. Each of the lessons include:
* two to four prefixes, suffixes, or root words along with meanings and sample words;
* 10 new vocabulary words that use these word parts;
* definitions and sample sentences for each new word; and
* a one-page worksheet that presents a variety of ways to apply knowledge and expand understanding of the definitions and uses of the word parts.
In addition to the extensive student section, this book includes considerable reference material to help the instructor. This includes:
* a comprehensive listing of prefixes, root words, and suffixes;
* their meanings and sample words;
* extra words to use with each lesson;
* open-ended worksheets that can be used with any lesson; and
* additional lesson ideas to supplement your word study.
About the Authors:
Dianne Draze holds both a bachelor’s degree in education with a major in mathematics and a master’s degree in curriculum and instruction. Beginning her tenure in the field of education in 1968, she has taught upper elementary grades, junior high mathematics, English and history, gifted programs for grades 1–8, and education classes at the university level. Draze founded Dandy Lion Publications in 1977, creating a publishing house that specialized in curriculum materials that were appropriate for able learners and gifted students, that combined motivating content with challenging activities, and that were easy for teachers to use. In the capacity of owner and editor, she wrote more than 50 books and edited an additional 119 books.
Because one opinion is never enough! Have you ever used Red Hot Root Words? How did it work for your family? Share your review below.